Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Proud Ambivert



Everyone that knows me well would say that I would be more of an introvert than an extrovert. We live in a world that tends to see things in black or white terms (yes/no; positive/negative; good/bad; etc.). However, things are not usually as simple as this. When I was an undergraduate student I socialized with a group of friends every afternoon in the cafeteria. I was always a part of the group, but not always a part of the conversation. I felt I needed to interject myself into the conversation only when I had something of value to add. One afternoon, a new addition to the social group asked me why I didn't join the group. Her perception was that I was not a part of the group because I did not talk as much as the rest. I felt I was very much a part of the group and the conversation regardless of my verbal input. This person went on to state that "I didn't have to be shy and that I should come out of my shell." I did not agree with her assessment of myself, but it did make me realize that the perception others have of me is different than my own. I admit that I tend toward introversion, but I have never felt shy. In fact I have always felt to be more of an extrovert than introvert, but behavior says differently. Being shy and being introverted are not synonymous, but I think that extroverts would see them as being the same. 

About ten years ago, I took a personality test and I came out on the extroversion end of the scale. I felt somewhat vindicated, but felt that the scale was probably not accurate. About five years ago I was given the Myers-Briggs Personality Type assessment. The result was ESTJ. For those unfamiliar with the Myers-Briggs test, the "E" indicates the person (in this case me) is an extrovert. In two separate personality tests, I was scored as being more of an extrovert than an introvert. If this is true, then why would myself and others always assume that I was an introvert? This caused me to investigate the matter more thoroughly.

Then I read about "ambiverts". If introversion and extroversion are opposite ends of a scale (introversion being 0 and extroversion being 10), what about those that fall in the center of the scale? There is a third personality type that nobody talks about--the ambivert. An ambivert has a balance of extroversion and introversion tendencies. Carl Jung, the psychologist that developed this theory, said that there were no truly introverts or extroverts and if they were, they would be in an asylum. In fact, it has been estimated that ambiverts make up about 68% of the population. Ambiverts are the shades of gray in the black and white world of introverts and extroverts.

Understanding that I probably have as many extroversion traits as introversion traits helps me to understand myself and others much much better. One article says:
  1. Ambiverts are more flexible in social settings.
  2. Ambiverts are more emotionally stable.
  3. Ambiverts are intuitive.
  4. Ambiverts are more influential.
Consider this, you may be an ambivert! Chances are you're more of an ambivert than an extrovert or introvert. The next time you are asked whether you are an introvert or extrovert and feel uncomfortable with either label--there is a third option.

I AM A PROUD AMBIVERT!!!


I want to hear from you. Does knowing that you may be an ambivert change your thinking? I want to hear your story.

Please post a comment.

Thank you




3 comments:

  1. I've always known that I was an ambivert...just didn't know what the correct label was. Thanks for clarifying the matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding that there was a term for people with introversion and extroversion qualities has answered a lot of questions about myself and many many other people I know. It calls into question every personality trait assessment! There are variables that also influence Introversion/Extroversion like social context, situations, mood, etc.

      Delete
  2. You know I've always been a fan of personality trait assessments. I've always been intrigued at how accurate they typically seem to me. I've always just assumed that when people had lots of both tendencies that they were just pretty balanced.

    ReplyDelete