Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Problem With Evangelism


In my opinion, one of the reasons that evangelism in the church is not effective is that it is being taught by evangelists!


What?

Can I be serious?

This is just my theory, but it is based upon observation. There is a well known person within my fellowship that is known as an evangelist. He makes type A personalities seem shy. He exudes confidence and passion. He is what we all would consider the consummate evangelist. He teaches evangelism in at least two schools and has recently started his own school of evangelism. He travels to churches teaching congregations how to evangelize. I have spoken with two pastors that have had him come to their church, teach them how to evangelize, and has led them to their neighborhoods to put into practice what he had taught them. A year later, they reported to me that it has made very little difference in their church. 

This was only two samples--not exactly enough for scientific study, but I asked myself why this was the case in these two churches. Was it because the congregation could not grasp what they were being taught? Was it because they lacked the motivation to continue after the evangelist was off to the next church? Was it because they did not have the charismatic evangelist to follow? 

I can't say for sure, but I have made several observations about evangelism through the years.

1. Most churches struggle in the area of outreach and evangelism.
2. Many people are timid when it comes to sharing Christ with strangers.
3. Many people have preconceived notions of what an evangelist is and know that they could never measure up.
4. We all know that we should be reaching out to others and feel guilty when we don't.

Since we know that evangelism is a weakness in most churches and that evangelism is important, we call on the evangelist to come and teach us how to reach out to the lost. We sit and learn from these evangelists, but know in our hearts that we will never be like him no matter how hard I try. We try to evangelize how we were taught, but soon become discouraged because it does not come natural and we have not seen much fruit. I have been in many training sessions and have learned from each one, but mostly I learned that I will never be an "evangelist" in the classical sense and be comfortable sharing with my faith with strangers. 

So what is the solution?

Each of us has been given a voice. "Voice" is where our divine gifts, talents, and passion converge and everyone has a different voice. The voice of peace maker, of teacher, of shepherd, of prophet, of mercy giver, etc. Not everyone has the voice of the evangelist, nor were they intended to. Paul tells Timothy to do the work of an evangelist. The evangelist shares the good news of Jesus Christ. Anyone can share the good news, but should do so with their own voice. "Evangelism" is natural when we do it with our own voice. Let us stop emulating the evangelist, find our own voices, and start sharing the love of Christ with others.


Please leave a comment below and subscribe to this blog.


4 comments:

  1. It is interesting to note that the root of evangelism leads all the way back to the Hebrew idea of releasing one to go do what it was created to do...similar to Noah's release of the raven and the dove. (rule of first mention) Noah "sent them out with no instruction and merely expected them to go and do what ravens and doves do. I think this picture depicts what you are saying. We are all called to share the good news...I think putting the evangelist label on it makes it a bit scary...sets some expectations that we think we have to live up to. If you tell me to "go do what you do...and while doing it share the good news" all the pressure is off! Probably a lot more like God would do things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jimmy and Starla. "go do what you do...and while doing it share the good news" (and I might add, the Love of Christ will seep through your pores, as an aroma to those who are around you, ....as you "do what you do".

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion evangelism and or witnessing without practical lifestyle support is empty, harmful, and destructive. Evangelism is a gift, as well as teachers and preachers, and we are not all given that gift or talent. It can never be overemphasized that the faultless conduct in everyday life and circumstances of God’s people was and is the best witness for winning people to the Lord. This is not the type of evangelism that Christians usually have in mind: not so much by testimony, but by being a living example of God’s intervening grace, love and mercy. “‘I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the Lord,’ declares the Sovereign Lord, ‘when I am proved holy through you before their eyes’” (Eze. 36:23).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for the comments. Rick, I agree with you. I spent a lot of time doing street evangelism while in Bible School and even went to Mardi Gras. I became frustrated with the inability to follow up on those I witnessed to and local churches were not interested in doing an follow up for us. This frustration grew into distaste for what I call "hit and run evangelism." I was in a meeting where a person that had gone street witnessing was giving testimony of a person both getting saved and physically healed, but the didn't even get their name. Evangelism must be about developing a relationship.

      Delete